Saturday, January 28, 2012

Goals for 2012

Read the Bible more. Get into my Bible Study Fellowship more diligently. Put focus back on leading my family and my relationship with God. I'll attempt to go to bed earlier, and wake up earlier to accomplish this in the morning.

Go on more dates with my wife. It would be nice to set aside a once a week or every other week date with my Bride. She has set up "schedule Sunday" which is for planning the next weeks activities and direction. 
 
Cut back or eliminate processed sugar. From sweet stuff like ice cream and cookies to how much sugar I put in my coffee. This is something I've wanted to do for a while, and I'm really going to try to do it. I have a major sweet tooth.

Notice the injury periods of April/May and October/November






Run 1000 miles in 2012. My goal for 2011 was 1000 miles. I ran nearly 900 in 2011, but was hampered by 2 separate 5 week injury periods that threw my pace out of whack.

Avoid injury. How do I accomplish that? Less races? I had a winter race series that had a race every Saturday for 7 weeks plus a grueling 10 miler at the end. I ran several 5ks in the weeks after that. Looking back, I can see now that I probably was too taxed, not taking enough rest weeks. I basically ran a race every week for about 4 months. I'm not a professional athlete, so at this stage in my progression I probably shouldn't be racing every week. I'll be picking my race schedule for the year soon and using the Hal Higdon's 5k Advanced training plan. I'm planning on keeping the races short, too, like  10ks or less.

Read more books. I really got on a roll reading in 2010, and the first part of 2011, but dropped off. I have a couple books I bought that still need reading, so I'll start there.

Put the smartphone down more. This correlates to reading my Bible and reading books in general. Too much time spent on the phone.

Play with the kids more. Ride bikes, play games (including the Wii), run, special trips out.

Grow a better garden. We have some awesome raised beds that were here when we moved in 4.5 years ago. The last 2 summers haven't yielded much fruit. We're also building a chicken coop attached to our shed.

No comments:

Post a Comment