Sunday, May 22, 2011

Running, 2011...part 1

Some of you know that I set out with a goal for 2011, a resolution if you will, to run 1000 miles for the year. I was influenced by Billy Brown in this goal. It was something I talked to my wife Hillary about before Billy's challenge. The monthly average for this undertaking is 83.33 miles. As of January 1, 2011, I hadn't run more than 72 in a month. Even back in 2009 when I trained for my second half marathon. I told Hillary that I was going to give it a shot. The way I saw it, I had already thought about it, and someone else brought it up again, so I should probably do it. Billy and I are both DailyMile members, so there would be some accountability.

I ran in the 2010 SRMC Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving day. I had been training for it, to PR. I had a goal of 44:30 (7:25/mi). I had watch issues, so I ran too fast for the first mile (6:38). I ended up being gassed the rest of the race, and finished at 44:57 (7:29/mi). Still a PR of almost 2 minutes, but off my goal pace of what I'd been training for. 

Then came December. All sorts of excuses, including it being one of the wettest Decembers ever in Redding, a family trip to Disneyland, Christmas, etc, etc... For all my training efforts in October and November, I didn't log a mile in December. 

That's what makes my 1000 mile goal that much more ambitious. 

to be continued... 

No comments:

Post a Comment